Pages

Monday 3 February 2014

Question Three

What kind of institution might distribute your media product and why?


The institution that I wish to distribute my media product is IPC media. IPC media was first created in the 1950’s and is a subsidiary of Times Inc. With a variety of lifestyle and music magazines being published and distributed by IPC media on a daily basis, it openly tells me that this distributor is an extremely successful one. They do distribute one well known music magazine; NME, however this does not faze me as there are many opposing factors that make the two magazines completely different.

NME (standing for New Musical Express), was initially started in 1952 when the first issue was released. This is a magazine that is circulated weekly, compared to the monthly circulation of my magazine which I have chosen because I feel the quality of the magazine will be at a much higher standard.  With a circulation of nearly 24,000, I hope that I am able to meet or even exceed this amount of readers for my magazine as I feel that the audience profile that I have set up is one which is quite open and allows a variety of people to feel as though they’d be able to read the magazine. Even though both the age bracket that the two magazines have are fairly similar I still feel as though that there are enough other points that the magazine could still be as or even more successful as NME.

I believe that the company would like to play a part in the process of this magazine because of the difference between the styles they are used to producing; lifestyle and the one that I have developed.  From looking at the products they do produce, I could only see one major music magazine, and by adding Sound to the mix the distributor would be able to expand on their distributors’ style from just lifestyle to a broader spectrum of genres.

No comments:

Post a Comment